Make Paneer Tikka Masala at home with this easy recipe! It’s a famous Indian appetizer where pieces of paneer (Indian cottages cheese) and marinated with yogurt and spices and then grilled until charred. Onion, bell peppers and tomatoes are also added to the marination along with paneer. Once cooked, it’s served with cilantro mint chutney, onion slices and lemon wedges. Cubes of paneer, onion and bell peppers are marinated with spices and yoghurt and then roasted in the oven to perfection. Traditionally paneer tikka is grilled in a tandoor but you get the same amazing taste by broiling in the oven or cooktop too. Paneer Tikka was one appetizer which we always ordered when we ate out in India.
Ingredients to make Paneer Tikka Masala
- 250 gm Paneer or cottage cheese
- 100 gm curd (dahi)
- 2 tomatoes (tamatar)
- 2 onion (pyaj)
- 2 capsicum (Shimla mirch)
- 1 tsp ginger (adrak), garlic (lahsun) paste
- 2 green chilly (hari mirch) paste
- 50 gm cashew nut (kaju) paste/cream
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1 tsp chana masala
- salt to taste
How To Make Paneer Tikka Masala:
- Cut round slices of capsicum and onions and keep them aside.
- Cut paneer in cubes.
- Mix tandoori, chat and chana masala along with half of the ginger garlic paste with curd.
- Now add paneer cubes and mix well.
- Fix paneer cubes in a toothpick and put capsicum and onion slices around paneer.
- Then cook them in a preheated oven and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and put ginger garlic paste and green chilly in it.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Thereafter, add finely chopped onion and fry.
- Add finely chopped tomato and cook until oil floats on the surface.
- Then add Kaju paste/cream and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add all the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add paneer cooked in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
- Making Paneer Tikka on Stove-Top
- Can you make this on stove-top if you neither have a grill nor an oven?
Yes, you can make the tikka on the stovetop.
A grill pan will work best but if you don’t have that a simple pan or Tawa will also work. Line all the paneer pieces with onion and peppers in a skewer and then place on the pan.
Remember to spray the pan with an oil spray first.
Cook from both sides until it’s golden brown in colour. It would still taste good!
Always remember to serve the tikka with a sprinkle of chaat masala and side of cilantro chutney. There’s no other way to eat it!
If you’ve tried this Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe then don’t forget to follow this blog! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest to see what’s latest in my kitchen!