Ingredients for making Vanilla Cake
Maida/all purpose flour – 1 and 1/2 cups (200 gms)
Plain yogurt(Curd) – 1 cup (250 ml)
Granulated Sugar – 3/4 cup (165 gms)
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
Cooking oil – 1/2 cup (125 ml)
Vanilla essence – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1 tbsp (just for brushing the top)
Method for making Vanilla Cake
1. Sieve maida twice and keep aside.
2. Beat sugar and curd until sugar completely dissolves and becomes like cream.
3. Add baking powder, baking soda to the creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Leave aside for 5 mins and you can see the bubbles appearing.
5. Now add vanilla essence, cooking oil and mix well.
6. Next slowly add maida in portions at a time and blend with wet ingredients.
7.Beat well with a whisk until creamy and thick.
8.Preheat oven to 200 deg C for 10mins.
9.Meanwhile grease a butter paper, lay it in the cake tin or loaf pan and pour the batter to the tin and keep it ready.
10.Bake in preheated oven at 200 degree C for 10 mins, then reduce temperature to 180 deg C and bake it for 30-35 mins or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
11.Just brush the top of the cake with 1 tbsp milk, 10mins before the ending time to get a nice polishing glaze.
12.Allow the cake to cool down for 10mins, then invert and remove the butter paper.
13.Then cut/slice them into pieces and enjoy!
I baked this cake in a round cake tin You can use a loaf pan and bake the cake.
* To make the vanilla cake less sweet, you can add ½ cup of sugar. I have made the cake with half a cup of sugar, since I was going to use a very sweet strawberry jam glaze, it worked perfectly. However, if just having the vanilla cake plain, then go with ¾ cup of sugar or add as per your taste preferences.
Method for strawberry jam glaze – just heat about 2 to 3 tbsp jam with 1/2 tbsp water and 1 or 2 tsp corn starch till the mixture thickens. Then spread this icing on the cake and layer with a flat spatula.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and hit those star rating buttons. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.